Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Why I love my sister . . . .

Reason # 1:
She gets me. Like no one else. A cup of tea (or phone conversation) while our kids are napping and a heart to heart and I feel like someone has read my soul, understood it, and soothed me all at once. We truly have pieces of each other knit into our own hearts and minds---a bio connection enhanced by a real and intentional friendship!



Reason #2:
She is FABULOUS with children. She is my unending source of parenting advice, ideas, strategies, or just a good ear to hear me reflect what I am learning about or struggling with as a mother. Plus, she ALWAYS thinks my Corban stories are hilarious and has positive feedback to share whenever I feel like I'm not doing a great job. Not to mention, she is such a superb aunt she PLANS ACTIVITIES to do with Corban when we visit (even after she had her own baby!) Like in the picture below, she brought dough and cookie cutters and sprinkles to our last family Christmas then spent a couple hours just one on one with him baking cookies. That is so awesome!

Reason #3: Like I said, she gets me. Who else would stay up at all hours wrapping stocking stuffers . . . . tons of them. She loves Christmas just like I do. I think we would have a year round family Christmas if we could . . . . . 
By the way--we definitely didn't get this from our dad. He gives up after wrapping one gift and puts the rest in plastic bags. Or just hides them in the tree somewhere. Real classy.



Reason #4: The laughter. The laughter. The laughter.


Reason #5: Seriously, are there two cuter cousins? I just LOVE being moms together. This has meant so much to me to grow in our relationship as mothers. Sharing the vulnerable parts of ourselves (like when we lose it with our kids) and helping problem solve issues, validate one another's experiences, and just plain love each other's children.



And so many more reasons . . . .the way she is such a gentle person. The way she strives to follow God's leading in her life. Her extraordinary patience. The way she is so intentional about how she lives her life---whether it's deciding what kind of food to buy and prepare, how to provide art opportunities for her daughter, developing curriculum for her preschool, or her spiritual walk----she does the trivial and monumental things in life with purpose and intention (and usually a good dose of research just for extra fun!) 

Thank you Rebekah for being such an intentional person, for enriching my life with your love and friendship, and for sharing so much of yourself with me. I love you!

2 comments:

The Browns said...

This will definitly be the best Christmas present I get this year--and possible next year too, unless you write me something else. :) THANK YOU so much. You have such a way of making my day. . . I love you.

The Browns said...

its funny,
but i really like her too!!!
(i also think you are alright)
thank you for being you for her and loving her as she is, for you.
shawn

here is some punctuation !.,?:;'