Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Therapist Thoughts on God

As a therapist I have encountered some of my most meaningful "God lessons" and one of those has been resurfacing for me again lately. As I sit with my clients, who are precious children of God, I am struck by the depth of human suffering, pain, and tragedy that many of us endure. And typically speaking, this suffering is the result of human sin. Of course, there is suffering due to totally external events like natural disasters, but almost all relational pain is a result of sin. Not the client's sin necessarily, but sin somewhere down the road whose devastating effect has rippled into his/her life. Harshly spoken words, violations of sexual boundaries, broken promises, abuses of power, bitterness and resentment being harbored within hearts, impatience and a lack of self control, a pattern of drunkenness, breaking marital vows, sex outside of marriage, or a lack of love. Sin. Sin begets death. Death of spirit, death of heart, death of families  . . . . . As I see the impact of decisions made or actions taken outside of God's laws for us, I am continually struck by the underlying message in all of this:

God loves us. His laws are beautiful. They are there to protect us. Not an obligation. A protection. Hedging us in from what is unsafe, impure, and painful. God's laws are laws of love.

So, being a therapist and hearing messy, tragic stories on a regular basis has taught me to "delight in the laws of God." To really internalize and "get" that. The words that come to my mind as I was again reflecting on this tonight were "basking in the love of God"---feeling washed over with his love and protection. Understanding that he is not a God of obligation. That his laws are designed to give us heaven on earth------So, here's to basking in the love of God!



1 comment:

Joshua and Julie Marcum said...

Yeah!!!! I am SO excited you have a blog now - and loved reading your last entries - catching up on your life - praise God for the great way he worked things out in Lincoln - and seeing pictures of cute Corban! Makes me miss you.... Love you lots!
Julie